Response

1) What is your reaction to the text you just read?
I feel that the narrator himself is an intellectual, who in a sense is disassociated from the world. Within the prologue when it was written that he was discussing with his friends about all sorts of topics from the existence of alien intelligence, to various other subjects. It seemed as if his friend was 'bitter' with life and was just living, not living for the sake of living, but rather living for life's sake. Such, that when the narrator tried to seek out his friend, and realized he had gone somewhere else, it seemed as if he felt lonely-and decided as a change of pace to go to Disney World instead-as it seemed from how I read the rest of the text that it was brighter, a change of pace, and quite frankly the person had no where else to go (according to what I have read, it seems as if he has stayed there for more than thirty years, or rather yet a long time.)

Upon reading the first segment of the first chapter, I sensed that the narrator himself is a bit detached from reality. True, he works there, but from the way he described his girlfriend, it almost seems like he is aware that the life he is living, is in a sense wrong, and is meant to be what others deem as "perfect" but to him it sounds "unreal", and rather not in place for him. This is shown by his description of his girlfriend, in which he deems is "Disney-perfect" and all those other things.

2) What connection did you make with the story? Discuss the element of the story with which you were able to connect?
The idea of disconnection. As an introspective person, the way in which the narrator makes his associations (although I don't think I would think as much), is somewhat relatable to me. The narrator is able to establish his own reality, and thoughts-what the world is actually like (the world's reality), and what people actualize idealize (what people think their projected realities should be.) The narrator is pragmatic, yet idealistic at the same time, and comparing these three elements (although I only compare to), is somewhat relatable to me.

Another thing in which I am able to connect to is the idea of routine. Sometimes routine seems rather boring, and meaningless, and although I am not old, I am able to relate to that if I am to live my life just "mind-gruelling" without a single-purpose, then I'll probably feel as lifeless as he is.

3) What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
I think this story would be ideal to turn into a film, the reason why I think so is that film often explores many existential questions such as this. As for what changes I would do, I would probably only include the dialogue, not the monologue, and will try to depict the monologue through certain aspects of the scene such as lighting and various other factors. (such as furniture.)

Comments

Popular Posts